Monday, September 2, 2013

Elder Wes first letter from Virginia in "the sticks"


So I'm in the sticks of Virginia in the middle of freaking nowhere! Me and my new companion elder Zander from south Jordan’s apartment is in a town called Woodstock Virginia. It is so different out here than I ever could have expected, especially when I had mentally prepared myself for Baltimore. So first and foremost my mission president and his wife are pretty cool they have a really big nice house in Ellington, where I had a good dinner with the other 35 missionary’s ha-ha. I have to admit while I was there my first day and kept thinking to myself, what in the heck am I doing here?

 

Reality seriously slapped me hard in the face it was super difficult. We spent that night in a nice hotel where they had a good breakfast, and then we went to the transfer meeting where we all had to bare our testimonies in front of a lot of people so that was scary. I found Taylor Petterson there and we were both super stoked to see each other, so that was pretty awesome. My new companion elder Zander and I are really different to say the least. He has only been out SIX WEEKS and he is training me. He’s a good missionary for how long he has been out but we both have different personalities and stuff so we butt heads a little so that’s a little frustrating.

 

Anyway our apartment is really nice by missionary standards. It has two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a decent little kitchen so that’s nice. I just barely went shopping at Wal-Mart (pretty much the only store within 30 miles) and bought some food, I think I budgeted pretty good and got a two liter of mountain dew so that’s good ha-ha. I have already taught so many people I have lost count, many of the people are super nice out here until you travel 5 miles away then all the hicks just want to kill us ha-ha. Living in the middle of nowhere is really weird and hard. There is a little over a 100 members in our branch that covers about 30 miles ha-ha. To put things in perspective of how in the middle of nowhere I am, I have seen two wolves, a snake, a fox and about 300 possums. Apparently there are black bears every where too. The bugs and humidity here are INSANE I look soaking wet all day from how much I sweat, and the bugs just flock to me, there are humongous spiders and roaches everywhere. Mom you would NOT like it here ha-ha. Yes people eat possum and all other crazy stuff out here, its like a place you would see in a movie. I have had lots of great experiences out here but even more hard experiences.

 

 There is so much more things I could tell you, I just don’t have time. We had three baptisms on date yesterday and all of them fell through :( hopefully on sunday though they will be ready. Everyone out here has already heard the gospel from the previous missionaries or already has an opinion so its really hard to get investigators especially with our large spread out area. Anyways please send me letters and things as often as possible. You dont truly understand how important mail is until your out here. Your letters and things sometimes are the only thing that gets me though the day. I am really trying to lose myself in the lords work and focus, but it’s really hard to not think about home. Btw you can send all letters to the mission home, it takes awhile to get to me though I guess because I haven’t gotten anything since I have been here. Anyways enough about me, how are you all doing

 

 LDS members out here are all huge BYU fans including the stake president who is one of me and Elder Zander’s good friends. He writes for the AP and Dessert news, he’s a super awesome guy and has bought us dinner 3 times already. You have no idea how good it is to have so many good members back home. There are only a handful of really solid families out here and they have so much responsibility with multiple callings and things, I feel bad for some of them. BTW one our new investigators are from New York and are a DT (Dream Theater) fan! so that was a cool conversation I had with him ha-ha. I hope school is going good for the girls and they are making lots of friends

 

Anyways I better wrap this up even though there is so much to share. Oh yea btw thanks for shipping my bike, its way to hot to ride it right now ha-ha, good thing we have a 2010 corolla to drive around hahahahaha. Anyways I love you all so much I hope I come back alive ha-ha I almost got killed 5 times already by various things, not to make you worry! hahaha ;) I hope to here from ya soon. I think about you all every single day.

 

-love Wes

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment